Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Atheist Camp?

Our old friend Richard Dawkins is at it again:

The author of The God Delusion is helping to launch Britain’s first summer retreat for non-believers....

Budding atheists will be given lessons to arm themselves in the ways of rational scepticism. There will be sessions in moral philosophy and evolutionary biology along with more conventional pursuits such as trekking and tug-of-war. There will also be a £10 prize for the child who can disprove the existence of the mythical unicorn.

While I'm pretty firmly against the idea of mainstreaming atheism as a political force, this strikes me as actually a pretty good idea. Although I'm still somewhat conflicted about it.

One one hand, it would be nice to have a place where children can go to learn the value of rational thought, and have lessons in critical thinking, as an alternative to faith-based camps (some of which I was exposed to, despite coming from a relatively secular household). On the other hand, it's still indoctrination. It's an authoritative figure giving lessons on the "proper" way to look at the world. I think I might send my [hypothetical] kids for a week, but with a stern warning about the dangers of believing something just because an authority figure tells you it's true.

What do you think? Is this a good idea? Just another church? The end of the world?

3 comments:

  1. I think "critical reasoning camp" would be a far better idea. Don't start with a conclusion. That's a bad idea, even if I happen to agree with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Also, it's creepy that they teach evolution at summer camp. But I suppose no Dawkins event can be free from that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. I'm afraid I don't know about either... I went to nerd camp when I was a kid: we learned foreign languages, went on archaeological digs, had debates, and watched monty python and rocky horror... I guess it was as close as you can come to "critical reasoning camp"... and look how I turned out! HAHA.

    Given a choice between "religion camp" and "atheism camp" I guess I would choose atheism camp, but only because it sounds like more fun. But I agree with you Chris, I think every kid deserves the chance to develop and make up his or her own mind, and doling out the conclusion is clear cut indoctrination.

    ReplyDelete